My very first impression of this Bible is, emphatically “Wow!” It is absolutely gorgeous. Seeking to continue the stream of historically illuminated manuscripts, the ESV Illuminated Bible features the designs and illustrations of Dana Tanamachi.
The cream-coloured pages pair beautifully with the black ink of the ESV text and with the gold of the illustrations. Features include:
- 9-point, Lexicon
- Black letter text
- 2-color printing
- 64 full-page, custom book opener illustrations
- 50 full-page verse illustrations
- 250+ hand-lettered margin verses
- 100+ other illustrations throughout
- Illustrated by Dana Tanamachi, whose work has been featured by Google, The Wall Street Journal, Random House, USPS, and Target
- Thick, cream-colored paper
- Wide margins
- Single-column, paragraph format
- Smyth-sewn binding
- Packaging: None
In the back of the Bible is a list of the book opener illustrations as well as explanations of what the art means in relation to the following book. I’m completely in love with this Bible, its artwork, and design.
This is the English Standard Version of the Bible which is a trusted translation and one of my favourites.
I love the verse chosen for the back of the cover, Psalm 119:130 which says ” The unfolding of your words gives light.” Which is immensely fitting for an illuminated Bible.
The enchanting aesthetic of this Bible actually inspires me to read it more. It’s so interesting to experience the physical beauty and be inspired to grow in knowledge of the beauty of God’s written word to us.
I received a complementary copy of this Bible from Crossway in exchange for my fair and honest review